The Story PeteFest
The Pete Foundation for Depression Prevention was formed in 2016 by the Jones family in honor of their beloved Pete after he took his own life at the age of 23 on December 9, 2016. The Jones Family decided to invest their efforts toward ensuring that no person would have to suffer silently in the way Pete suffered for 10 years. It struck them that Pete was only able to convey the depth of his pain in a letter discovered after his death. The Pete Foundation’s mission is centered around creating awareness about the importance of mental health in our society today. The foundation strives to empower today’s youth in their pursuit of a happy, mentally healthy life, free from the internal conflict and confusion brought on by depression and anxiety. It is the belief of The Pete Foundation that if individuals are able to talk about depression and anxiety with understanding and acceptance, the path that all too often leads to suicide can be thwarted.
PeteFest Music Festival was created out of The Pete Foundation to bring awareness to the stigmas that surround mental health, in part by providing a safe space for all people to exercise open-mindedness, expression, and support for others. The three-day festival provides an inspiring experience with live music, local food, art, and activities for everyone including kids on a stunning 90 acre nature preserve. In addition to awareness about mental health, PeteFest also strives to showcase environmental environmental conservation and outdoor recreation.
Snapshot of our first year’s success:
- Over 40 performers including bands, live muralists, and crafters.
- 1,000+ attendees
- 20+ corporate sponsors, including Republic Bank, LPM, Tito’s Handmade Vodka, Jefferson’s Bourbon, West 6th Brewery, Supro, Guitar Center, Run Switch, Louisville Health Advisory Board, and more.
- Significant presence of artists, volunteers, community business leaders, corporate sponsors, non-profit organizations, media representatives.
- Attendance by all ages 1 year to 85 years of age.
- Exclusive introduction of young up-and-coming musicians on “Discover Sunday”
PeteFest 2017 was such a huge success that it will be returning in 2018! Join us September 7th-9th for our second year with live performances from the best local and national artists at Jones Field!
The PeteFest team is hard at work getting ready for another successful year, and working on a new website with fresh content and features! Come ready to #StomptheStigma and #RocktheElephant for a good cause and great music! We’ll see you there!